Being labeled a vegetarian can be a broad statement. At Wildflour Caterers, we use the American Diabetes Association‘s “lacto-ovo vegetarian” diet to prepare our vegetarian menu. This diet does not include any meat, but it does include dairy products and eggs. Our recipes pay careful attention to blending a mix of vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, and low-fat dairy products.
Not sure what to prepare at home? Here are some meal ideas provided by the American Diabetes Association:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup — Serve with a whole-grain roll and dip it in your soup. Add a side salad made with fresh greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and low-fat dressing.
- Bean Burrito — Fill a whole-wheat tortilla with fat-free re-fried beans, salsa and low-fat cheese.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich — Add tomatoes to your sandwich before grilling or dip in tomato soup. (Try sticking to vegetable broth-based soups instead of cream-based.)
- Veggie Quesadilla — Fill a whole-wheat tortilla with grilled peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and low-fat shredded cheese. Eat with pico de gallo and a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream or guacamole.
- Stuffed Peppers — Stuff bell peppers with a mixture of brown rice, soy crumbles, non-starchy veggies and shredded cheese.
- Veggie Burger or Black Bean Burger — Make these from scratch if you can find a recipe or buy them pre-made from the store. Cook your burger on the grill. Then top with a slice of low-fat cheese, a few slices of avocado, tomato, lettuce, and onion on a whole-wheat roll. It’s easy to make this a vegan meal by just taking out the cheese!
- Pizza — Make a cheese pizza with marinara and fresh mozzarella. Top it with your vegetables.
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Pesto Sauce — Cook and add your favorite veggies on top of this dish or try eating with a green side salad and low-fat dressing.
- Yogurt Parfait — Make with low-fat vanilla yogurt, fresh berries, and chopped nuts.
Don’t feel like cooking? No problem! Our team is ready to take your order and answer any questions. Just contact us!